Learn more about the support and services you can access during your stay at the Queensland Children’s Hospital and pick up some helpful links and tips to prepare for your visit.
This journey is an example of how we can support a family like yours.
Be welcomed by our Woolworths Wayfinders
Meet our team through an inpatient orientation and receive a handmade quilt
Collect bravery beads to tell your story of courage and strength
Collect a craft activity pack from the Family Lounge on the ward
Our volunteers visit your bedside with lots of games and toys to play with
Preparing for surgery
Be supported by our Operating Theatre volunteers
…and waking up
Our recovery volunteers will be ready with a warm blanket as you wake up from surgery
Choose your favourite toys or find a new one to try from our toy and games loans library
Choose from thousands of children's and adults books in the Scholastic Book Bunker
Come and visit our Kidzone playroom full of fun and offering child minding for children over 2 years
Explore the hospital and find the giant Play 9 digital game screens and Wishing Tree
Family come to visit including little siblings
Steggles Cuddle Carer volunteers provide comforting cuddles to patients and siblings under 2 years
We help you celebrate your birthday in hospital with a couple of little surprises
More and more fun!
Stay entertained with toys, books, visits to Kidzone and more!
Our Green Team stop by to say goodbye and assist you in preparing to leave hospital
Stay in Touch
Continue collecting Bravery Beads for ongoing care and let us know if you're back for an appointment
To prepare you for your stay at Queensland Children's Hospital watch our inpatient orientation video.
Before you come to hospital and during your stay
If you’re visiting the hospital for an outpatient appointment, be sure to visit Kidzone on Level 6 where we offer free childminding for patients and siblings (over the age of two).
If your child is being admitted to hospital, you can register your stay with us so we can support you from the moment you arrive.
Packing for hospital – tips from parents and caregivers:
- Sticky socks and slippers– the floors can get cold!
- Snacks for caregivers (please note QCH is a nut-free hospital)
- Plastic container to keep some food in the shared fridge
- Button-down clothing for the child
- Journal book or notebook and pens
- Ring-binder for documents
- Foam mats for kids to play on
- Wheat pack
- Earplugs and eye mask
- Reusable cup and water bottle for you
- Adult Panadol
- Permanent markers to label things
- Water bottles with straws so children can sip water while laying down
- Laundry bag to put dirty clothes into
- Charging cables
- Thongs for shower
- Lip balm
- Something that makes the room feel like home such as a special blanket, favourite pillow, and photos of family.
We also recommend bringing these items with you, but don’t worry if you forget or run out as we have these on hand to help you out.
- Boredom busters; toys, books, activities, and digital devices to entertain and distract you and your child
Hospital Discharge Checklist
- Transportation – how will you get home from the hospital?
- Food – do you have food and other necessities at home?
- Medication – do you have all the medications you’ll need and do you understand the dosage requirements?
- Doctor’s appointments – what is your follow-up care plan?
- Care at home – ask your medical team any questions you have about how to best care for your child at home.
- Recovery – do you know when your child can begin resuming their regular activities?
- Equipment – do you need any medical equipment at home?
- Can we help you with the practical side of leaving the hospital?
Call 07 3068 1662 or email [email protected] if you need assistance, or to loan a trolley to help you get you on your way!